MotoGP riders will be kept in check this season by a new BMW M2 Safety Car.
The BMW M2 MotoGP Safety Car is the new highlight of the MotoGP fleet and
immediately takes a leading role in the quest to get the field of top-class
riders round the racetrack quickly and safely in the coming rounds of the World
At the BMW M factory in Garching, the production car was modified, optimized and prepared by hand for its new role in MotoGP. As well as tailor-made solutions and mandatory safety features, the engineers at BMW M Division also equipped the Safety Car with extensive BMW M Performance Parts.
Back in early October 2015, a team of BMW M experts began preparing to assemble the BMW M2 MotoGP Safety Car. Two weeks later, a basic production model rolled into the halls of the M factory. This signaled the start of the task of manually converting the BMW M2 Coupe into an exclusive safety car. The modifications took a good ten weeks to complete.
Although the M Performance coilover suspension and Michelin Cup tires are wonderfully in harmony with the standard M compound brakes on the BMW M2 Coupe, the management in the M factory opted for carbon-ceramic brakes derived from the BMW M3/M4.
And because the BMW M2 MotoGP Safety Car will also be used in overseas races, a battery master switch and fuel pumping device help to guarantee safety when being transported by air.
To cut a long story short: the interior and exterior of the new BMW M2 MotoGP Safety Car are intended to represent the racing know-how of BMW M Division. As well as the basic paintwork in Alpine White and the typical BMW M livery, the car also features striking gold components, such as the roll cage, wheels, brake calipers, rear wing mounts, seat brackets, steering wheel spokes and contrast stitching.
Modifications for the BMW M2 MotoGP Safety Car:
- BMW M Performance exhaust system with carbon finishers
- BMW M Performance carbon side skirts
- BMW M Performance front grille high-gloss black
- BMW M Performance Air Breather high-gloss black
- BMW M Performance carbon mirror caps
- BMW M Performance carbon aerodynamic kit front (blades)
- BMW M Performance carbon rear diffusor
- Front flap CFK/GFK underframe (newly developed)
- Carbon rear wing with closed mounts
- BMW M Performance coilover suspension
- Carbon ceramic brake (prototype)
- Michelin Cup tires
- Bonnet with "motorsport lock"
- Fuel suction pump
- Battery master switch
- Flashing corona headlight rings
- LED lights on the roof with bracket (newly developed)
- LED lights in the front grille
- LED lights in the rear lights
- RECARO racing seats with Schroth belts
- Roll cage
- Fire extinguisher with bracket
- BMW M Performance alcantara steering wheel
- BMW M Performance carbon fibre interior trim
- BMW M Performance stainless steel pedal pads
- BMW M Performance floor mats