Volkswagen took the wraps off of a special Scirocco GTS at Auto
The Volkswagen Scirocco GTS shares its 2.0-liter turbocharged four banger with the Volkswagen GTI. In the Scirocco, it outputs 217 horsepower - enough to propel the sports coupe to 60 mph in just 6.2 seconds. Top speed is 151 mph (244 km/h).
The new Scirocco GTS will be launched in Europe at the end of May, with China following in the summer. It is not expected to be available in the US. This marks the comeback of an icon, a straight-forward, mighty fast and exclusively-equipped sports car that first debuted in 1982.
Scirocco GTS' Exterior Features
The 2016 Scirocco GTS will be equipped as standard with new 18-inch "Norwich" alloy wheels; the popular 19-inch "Lugano" alloy wheels will be available as an option. The red brake calipers of the GTS can be seen through the spokes of both of these wheel options. In addition, the Scirocco GTS comes with the R-Line package "Exterieur" as standard, which includes distinctive R-style bumpers (at the front with integrated fog lamps and glossy black radiator and air inlet grilles), custom side sill extensions, a roof spoiler (also R-style) and a diffuser.
The wing mirror caps are painted in stylish black and, just like its predecessor, the '82 Scirocco GTS, the new model can be ordered with a sporty GTS decal for the body as an option in Europe. This option features two decorative red stripes that run centrally from the bonnet over the roof and the boot (if the car is painted in "Flash Red" the stripes are black). The new Scirocco is also enhanced by 3D GTS logos in the radiator grille and on the tailgate.
The 2016 Scirocco GTS can be ordered in six colors: "Deep Black", "Indium Grey", "Urano Grey", "Pure White", "Oryx White" and, as already mentioned, "Flash Red".
The interior of the Scirocco GTS is also customized, of course, and dominated by the sporty colors black and red. The customization includes:
- Black headliner
- Decorative inlays in "Piano Black Lacquer " in the center console and the applications on the dashboard
- GTS badges on the sill panel mouldings
- Customised sports steering wheel with red seams and the lower spoke finished in "Black Piano Lacquer" (with the GTS logo)
- Pedals in stainless steel
- Seat covers with center panels made of a new material (with the GTS logo at the top of the backrest) and red decorative stitching
- GTS package also includes the legendary golf ball gear knob
- Chrome trim package (for the wing mirror and electric window switches)
- Air vents and inside door handles in "Black Piano Lacquer"
- Contrasting red seams for the safety belts, the handbrake lever, the gear lever gaiter, the central armrest and the floor mats
As an option, the Scirocco GTS can also be ordered with black "Vienna" leather upholstery; here again the seats are customized with decorative red seams. Volkswagen also offers features such as the transparent panoramic tilt sunroof, bi-xenon headlights, a multifunction steering wheel and - as previously mentioned - the new MIB II radio navigation systems.